Sunday, September 20, 2009

My Latest Project!






Okay, I'll admit, this was a big one. Even compared to other projects I seem to take on in my third trimester, this is definitely up there. I recently acquired my Great-Grandmother's piano from my parents. They are remodeling their family room, and decided that since no one ever plays this anymore, it was time to move it out. I had expressed interest in it years ago, so they offered it to me first. Joseph was more than a little anxious about the idea. First of all, we don't have a room for the piano like we want in the future, so we had to shuffle some things around to accommodate a piece of furniture this large. And not to mention it can't be in front of a cold air return, window, or walkway... So this last week I took it upon myself to make this poor eyesore of a piano become something we could be proud of. I think Joseph was a little skeptical. There were numerous scratches on it, and chips in the wood all over. My Grandfather had painted it this color years ago, and it was in need of a little TLC. I spackled and sanded the best I could, and then masked everything off for the big paint job. The whole project, though it seemed daunting, only took a couple of days, and Thursday evening we were ready for our kind neighbors to help us move it from the garage to the office. We had so many men help us out, with only a few teasing comments about why I was taking pictures and not helping lift. :) I was so excited to have this in our home. I think it turned out great, and I have been brushing up on my piano skills all weekend. It's been a very long time since I played, so I started out with our Hymn book, and Ethan made a request. I started playing Familes Can Be Together Forever for him, and I was a little slow. He told me to practice two more times, and then he would come back to sing with me so I could be faster! He's too funny! I think he would like to start lessons soon, as well as Joseph. This is one of his life-goals, and I'm so excited for him to start accomplishing it! I'm trying to research how old it is, and my best guess is somewhere around 100 years. I have a serial number and maker, so I should be able to narrow it down soon! We love our "new" piano!

5 comments:

Jerry and Sarah said...

Angela, it looks beautiful! That's true you do always take on big projects in your third trimester. I LOVE the fact that it is such an old piano, and it looks great in the office. Can't wait to see it, and hear it in person. I like Ethan's advice too:)

CAMERAHAPPY said...

Nice work! You are amazing! I'm always encouraged by you guys and your goals! Piano is a huge learning process,and that doesn't scare you two at all! I'm truely impressed! I love that Ethan told you to pratice it two more times! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Angela. You are amazing! The piano looks great - what paint did you use, spray or brush? I can never get even coverage with a spray can, so I could use a lesson or two! :)

Ashlee Reeder said...

Thanks Ang!! I'm excited to finally be entering into the married blogger world haha. I'm so glad you guys made it out to see our apartment! We love it so much. I still feel like I am playing house sometimes, but I figure that will fade as time goes on.:) I love what you did with the piano!! It looks gorgeous... I can't believe it is the same one. I hope you have been practicing a lot so Ethan doesn't have to wait for your playing anymore! Love you tons!

Sher said...

Wow - that was a TON of work!! You're crazy AND amazing all at the same time! Getting so close to #3 arriving soon!!